Three buildings were built in the 14th century on the site where Palác Fénix (Phoenix Palace) today stands. In the 1830s two two-storey houses with classicist façades were built on the same site and they remained there until 1927. That year their owner Mr Klubala sold them to the Viennese “Phoenix Life Insurance Company”. So the current name has its origin in the early 20th century. On 19 February 1927 Prague City Hall issued the “Phoenix” company approval for demolition and on 12 February 1928 a building permit for the construction of a single building.